Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lion and the Lamb

Things are calm…I am sitting out on my deck as the sun is beginning to set. It feels good to sit and relax. It has been a good day but it has also been a long week. At times I have felt much like Peter. Our guest preacher said it best this morning at church…that Peter was one of those people that said what others were afraid to say. Sometimes that got Peter into trouble. Believe me; I know what Peter feels like!

I have always been one that cannot hide how I feel. That can take some people aback. It probably has offended a few. There are others that seem to appreciate my genuineness. But sometimes I just feel like I need to be a voice. Lately I have been the voice for the foster children we are desperately trying to get. We were so close…supposed to have them in our guardianship this weekend. Then one phone call put a damper on everything. Never mind the fact that these children will be in a safe, loving, and nurturing home. Never mind that we have invested time, money and relationships with them. Never mind that these children know us and love us. Suddenly little details like square footage in a bedroom and what constitutes a bedroom are putting a halt on things.

It’s a broken system, I have heard it said. Not until our family became intertwined in it did we realize how very true that is. It’s a broken system with broken people…broken children and some of them just don’t have a voice. Well, I am willing to be that voice. You know, sometimes that is exactly what we need to be—a voice to those who don’t have one or who aren’t able to use theirs. We need to have that gentle spirit but we also need to have that passion for the right causes. Remember, Jesus was called a Lion and a Lamb.

I think most of us can safely say we have been both as a mom. We have been a lion when courage and toughness was required. Yet we have been a lamb when gentleness and softness were needed. I think we can also say that sometimes it is hard to know when to be which one. We can’t allow moments to lead us. We have to allow the Spirit to lead us.

Through all of this, I have found one incredibly amazing thing. I have been constantly in awe of my children and their love. They have loved and been willing to sacrifice. They have given up their space, time, and hearts to love on these children. We have been very open about everything—the story behind the children, what we are going through, what obstacles we need to overcome. I think this has been a great way to see their faith strengthened…to see them learn how to trust and lean on hard on the Lord. We have seen that there is no other choice.

My children have also seen that I am not willing to give up. I will not allow brokenness to take away. I will speak up and I will speak loudly if need be. I won’t be overbearing, tyrannical and insane—I will be passionate, confident and in control (of my emotions, hopefully!). It would be easy to back out. It would be easy to let the fight go. It would be easy to say, “Well I tried.” But I know that some battles require a bit more fight than usual. Jacob wrestled with an angel. It was a battle that took a long time. He didn’t give up. God does not call us to give up when we know what’s right.

Is there something you are fighting for? Maybe it’s for your marriage, the salvation of family or friends, a backslidden child, a dream you have yet to see fulfilled, or a career change…it could be anything. Is this maybe the time to put away the lamb and bring out the lion? Don’t let obstacles; don’t let trials and troubles hold you back. Don’t allow them to keep you from fighting the good fight. And remember…the battle is not yours! The battle belongs to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment