Saturday, November 3, 2012

Negativity and Quicksand


Negativity is like quicksand.  Once you step into it, making your way out is difficult.

The deeper you sink, the more you struggle…until finally, it has completely overtaken you.

I will admit that it can be hard to overcome negativity when it’s around you long enough.  In fact, you can go from thinking everything was just fine to suddenly questioning it all.

Recently I have been hearing a lot of negative things about my church.  These are from seasoned Christians who have been attending a long time. 

At first it was easy to dismiss what was being said.  I wasn’t seeing the same things as others were.

But then I started thinking…or was it I allowed a toe to touch the quicksand of negativity?  “Hmmm…maybe there is something to this.” 

You begin to wonder if everyone else is right and you have just been too blind to see it.  Pretty soon the foot has made its way in.

Thankfully, I was able to pull myself completely out of that quicksand, before I got into it any further.  And I walked away with the following insights…

  • If what everyone is saying is true, then it’s our job as the congregation to pray for the church


  • No church is perfect…simply for the fact it is filled with imperfect people


  • Am I expecting the church to meet all of my expectations, when only Jesus can give me everything I need?


  • The way I wish to be treated by others, am I doing the same?


  • Am I so busy judging others when I have enough of my own baggage to deal with?


I’m not saying that others don’t have legitimate concerns.  And I’m not saying that what someone feels is wrong. 

What I am saying is that I can’t allow negativity to cripple me.  Are you finding it a struggle to overcome?  Don’t step into the quicksand!

Photo by bonvivant in stock.xchng

No comments:

Post a Comment